Weekend Recap

Weekend Recap

This weekend recap will be short and sweet.  It is officially rifle season so I was a hunting widow all weekend.

Chris left Friday evening around 7:00 to head to the deer woods.  The girls and I were going to go to Moonlight Madness and do a little Christmas shopping, but we decided to stay in our nice warm house and enjoy an evening together.  We watched Netflix, ate popcorn, and went to bed EARLY!

Saturday Elizabeth was invited to go to Jonesboro to an A-State football game with the Krapf’s.  She left around 9:00 a.m. and didn’t get back until around 8:45 p.m.  They ate lunch at Longhorn Steakhouse, went to the mall, got on the jumbo-tron while dancing at the game, and ate Dip N’ Dots, so it was a great day in her book.  I was glad she was able to go and enjoy a day with her friend, Kenady.

Since Chris was hunting, that left just me and Emily.  We didn’t have anything on the agenda for the day, so I let Emily pick out what she wanted to do.  We started our day off with eating breakfast in bed while watching YouTube kids together.  We then went to the library and got our new AR books for this upcoming week.  After the library and a few other errands, I knew I had to clean the house really well and catch up on laundry.  Emily helped fold a few loads of laundry and cleaned up her room, but pretty much during this time she was playing outside on the trampoline or playing with her LPS’s (Littlest Pet Shop).  Chris sent me texts throughout the day letting me know how hunting was going.  He didn’t have any luck in the a.m. on Saturday, but was able to go to Starbucks so he was a happy camper.  We both hate coffee but want to be like the cool kids, so we order white hot chocolate so we can drink out of the cute Starbucks cups! HA

I finished cleaning a lot earlier than what I thought, so Emily and I decided to get all our Christmas stuff out and put our trees up!  I wasn’t going to do it because we usually put up all the Christmas stuff together as a family the day after Thanksgiving.  I knew we would be busy every weekend until Thanksgiving and we are hopefully going out of town after Thanksgiving, so I knew it was a great day to get it done.  Emily was such a huge help and we enjoyed our time together.  It’s always nice getting all the ornaments out and reminiscing about when they were made.  We got the living room tree up first and then moved to Emily’s room and put her tree up.  Both girls have a 4.5 foot tree in their room that they decorate every year.  Each year they decorate it all by themselves and pick out one new ornament for their tree.  We bought these trees a few years ago and now that the girls are getting bigger and older, they look a little puny compared to how they used to look, but the girls still love having their own tree!  However, I am thinking next year we need to upgrade and let them both get a 6.5 foot tree.  I might look for one after Christmas when everything goes on sale!  Emily put her tree up, and I carried all of Elizabeth’s stuff into her room, but waited for her to get home to decorate it.  I was pleased with how the trees turned out.  I am still on the hunt for a tree topper for ours in the living room, but it’s so close to the ceiling, I’m not sure if anything will fit or not.

After putting up all the Christmas decor, Emily and I went to Wal-Mart and got our weekly groceries.  Around 7:00, we ended up snuggling in my bed with popcorn again (we love popcorn) and watching 16 Wishes on TV.  When Liz got home she decorated her tree and then joined us in the bed.  They were both asleep by 9:30 p.m.  I stayed up and wrapped a few presents to put under the tree and Face-timed Chris.  It’s only the third or fourth time in our 12 years of marriage that he’s been away from me at nighttime.  I hate him being gone and sleeping alone!

On Sunday I knew I wouldn’t get Chris out of the deer woods, so we met Chris up at Cape for brunch.  We went to iHop which is becoming a family favorite for us because there’s just something about eating breakfast foods at any time of the day that makes it taste extra good.


After brunch we went to the farm and messed around.  We were scouting and looking for deer scrapes and walking through the woods when we decided to get back on the Ranger and go to a different spot.  As soon as we got on the Ranger, we ran over a snake!! The girls and I didn’t see it so I asked Chris to stop so we could look at it.  It was all coiled up and I thought surely we killed it by running it over.  Well, I went to take its picture all coiled up when it uncoiled and starting slithering towards the woods!  I freaked out and jumped back a little bit, but was able to record a video of it going into the woods.  The girls were screaming and probably scared off all the deer in a 50 yard vicinity.  Pic below is from a screenshot of the video I took.  It’s not the best pic, but shows how big the stupid thing was!


Chris and Elizabeth were going to hunt that evening, so Emily and I went ahead and headed back to Dexter.  We played outside for a few hours with the neighbor kids and enjoyed the afternoon at home.  Chris and Elizabeth made it back just in time for supper, showers, reading, and getting ready for the upcoming week.  I was sad Chris or Liz didn’t get a deer, but was thankful for him to finally be home!


Leaving you with our #selfieSunday (deer hunting edition).  Hope you have a blessed week! Thanks for checking out my blog!




Leave a Reply